What Happens When Your Food Gets Industrialized



Drink Silk soy? I have. Notice how difficult it is to find a reference to being organic or non-GMO (except for a blurb on the back)?

It also rips off American farmers:

According to the USDA’s report U.S. organic soybean production started declining several years ago despite steeply increasing demand for organic feed grains and consumer products such as soymilk. “As the number of organic soybean producers has increased worldwide, U.S. producers have faced increased competition for the domestic market,” concludes Catherine Greene, USDA economist and lead author of the USDA report.

Cornucopia contends that the purported shortage of organic soybeans in the United States is not a legitimate excuse for companies to import cheap crops from China or abandon organic ingredient sourcing altogether. “Our research reveals that there are many highly committed organic companies that are offering products made with American-grown soybeans,” says Vallaeys. Examples are Eden Foods, which continues its long-standing relationships with domestic farmers who grow organic soybeans, and new market players like Vermont Soy that are actively engaged in recruiting existing local organic farmers to grow soybeans.

On the opposite end of the spectrum are companies like Dean Foods, a leading agribusiness involved mainly in dairy, which markets Silk soymilk. When Dean Foods first acquired the Silk brand, American farmers were eager to ramp up domestic production of organic soybeans for their soymilk. According to Cornucopia’s report, Dean Foods quickly dashed their hopes, telling multiple midwestern farmers and farmer cooperatives that they had to match the rock-bottom prices of Chinese organic soybeans—a price they simply could not meet. So Dean Foods bought Chinese soybeans for years, building its commanding industry market share, before substantially decreasing its support of organic agriculture altogether. Today, few Silk products are certified organic and some are even processed with toxic chemicals and labeled “natural”

Well that's really comforting.

I recently gave up cow's milk (not cheese, that's considered a Class A Sin by Wisconsinites) for soy milk, preferring something a tad more natural than artificial hormones and a dairy product my adult body doesn't actually require to thrive and survive. I knew 90% of American soybeans are GMO, so it did seem a bit suspect that Silk could somehow dig up the other 10% to bring me vanillay yummies every morning.

Now I know.

Is nothing sacred?!

Jr Deputy Accountant

Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard.

2 comments:

Pete said...

Different topic, but you'll enjoy this for sure (well, take interest in)

"Jailed for cashing Chase check at Chase bank"

http://www.king5.com/news/125105599.html

Good find, thanks. Jesus that's AWFUL.